Netherton BEA S NT153935 1 384 120m EAF
Nethirtoun 1543 RMS iii no. 2915 [a division of Buthadlach (Bathilokis)]
the Nether toun 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 222
the Nethertoun 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 218
the Nathertoun of Bathedloskis 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 220
Nathertoun 1611 RMS vii no. 465 col. 3 [... Scheillis, Hiltoun, Eistertoun et Nathertoun ...]
Nethertoune of Baith 1668 RMS xi no. 1165 [Nethertoune of Baith called the lands of Over and Nether Hiltounes]
Nethertown 1759 RHP14330
Nethertown 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Nethertown 1872 Sasines no. 1544
Sc nether + Sc toun
‘Low(er) farm’. This is a division of the large, originally pastoral, estate of Buthadlach, for which see above. The burn, which is marked on the OS Pathf. as Lochfitty Burn, is known locally as the Netherton Burn.
By 1668 the affix ‘of Buthadlach’ had been replaced by one containing the parish- or barony-name ‘of Beath’, before disappearing altogether.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1