Dewars Mill SSL S NO481159 1 363 40m
Dewaris-mylne 1581 RMS v no. 702 [the widow of John Thomson in Dewars Mill; see Northbank CMN for more details]
Jacobo Dewar de Dewarsmylne 1611 RMS vii no. 427 [to James Dewar]
Dewrs mill 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Deurs mill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Dewarsmill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Dewarsmill 1793 Sasines no. 3702 [John Brown, merchant in St Andrews]
Dewar’s Mill 1798 Sasines no. 5208 [John Brown of Goukston or Gouston or Goiston (Goukston # SSL) with Mill of Goiston or Gouston called Dewar’s Mill]
Dewars Mill 1828 SGF
pn Dewar + Sc miln
It was the mill attached to the lands of Goukston # SSL, as is clear from the Sasine reference of 1798. It lies immediately east of Denbrae Mill. An Alexander Dewar had held half the lands of Denbrae before 1584 (RMS v no. 804). See *Nevethy-endoreth SSL, below, for more on this family.
OS Pathf. ‘Dewars Mill (disused)’ is called ‘Denbrae Mill (sawing)’ on OS 6 inch 1st edn.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3