Crefmakarri # SSL S NO5116 4
Cremacharrin 1165 x 1172 St A. Lib. 179
Cremacharrin 1165 x 1172 St A. Lib. 217 [= RRS ii no. 13]
Crefmakarri c.1220 Terrier C [17/18th c. copy]
G craobh + ? pn; or + G ? machair + – in
‘Tree of *Macharr(in)’ or ‘tree of the plain, low land or links’. The second (specific) element may be G machair, more associated today with the fertile, sandy strip of land by the coast on the western Highlands and Islands coast of Scotland. However, it is otherwise very rare in the east, with no other known instance in Fife. Alternatively, it may be a personal name, containing G mac ‘son’. The final syllable is probably the common locational suffix –in.
It is one of a list of lands, all described as being beside St Andrews, which Maolsneachda had held from Bishop Richard of St Andrews, and which the bishop then granted to St Andrews Priory. For a full list of these lands see Bassaguard SSL.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3