Clatto SSL S NO437156 1 363 135m SEF
Clatth’ c.1240 SAUL LPW 5 [o.c.; see *Torbreck KMB]
Clattow 1437 St A. Cop. no. 83 [to William Bonnar, the teindsheaf of Over Magask, Nether Magask CER, SSL and Clatto]
Clattow 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land, listed between Nether Magask CER and Balgove SSL]
David Lermontht de Clattow 1516 x 1521 St A. Formulare no. 88
Cletty 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Kletto 1667 Lamont’s Diary 199 [James Lundin in Blebo ‘bowght the lands of Kletto nire to itt from Robert Hamilton’]
Clatty 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Clatto 1775 Ainslie/Fife [‘Coll. Paton’]
Clatto Hill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
E. Clatto 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Clatto 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [also Clatto Hill, Tongues of Clatto and Easter Clatto]
? G cladh + G – ach
‘Place of a ditch or ditches’? It may also be compared with OIr cladach ‘surrounded by a ditch (OIr clad), fortified’. Modern G cladh is ‘a churchyard’ i.e. a place surrounded by a ditch. It is identical in meaning with Clatto KTT (PNF 2), which appears as Clatyn 1240 × 1253 (St A. Lib. 328) and Clatty in 1466 (Dunf. Reg. no. 458).
Cla<u>han Terrier F, listed amongst the lands held by bishop of St Andrews and his men c. 1220, may represent Clatto. See *Clachan SSL for a full discussion of this form.
Amongst the lands listed under the Regality of the Church in 1517 is Easter Nydie (Nydyn Easter) with pertinents of Clatto; also Kinninmond, Ladeddie and Baldinny, (all CER, SSL) Kinkell (SSL) with part of Clatto, Letham (SCO), Balgrummo (SCO) … (Fife Ct. Bk. 400).
DES (1981, 11) notes in connection with the remains of an ancient enclosure on Clatto Hill (NGR NO436157) that, although the summit has been much disturbed, a slight bank is visible around most of its relatively flat top. It is probably the remains of a ditch or ditches, linked to this early work, which gave rise to the name.
OS Pathf. also shows Clatto Hill, Tongues of Clatto and Easter Clatto.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3