Chesterhill SSL S NO569145 1 363 30m NOF
Chesterhill 1781 Sasines no. 200 [‘Alexander Duncan of Stonnywynd seised in parts of Boarhills, part of Broomfaulds and Baldougall, and a piece of ground called Chesterhill’]
Chesterhill 1817 Sasines no. 11746 [‘4 acres in the territory called Broomfaulds and Baldougal (SSL) and a small piece of a field called Chesterhill’]
Chesterhill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc chester + Sc hill
‘Hill of the fort or fort-site’. NMRS does not indicate any fort having existed at this site, the nearest remains in the area which might explain the name being the Roman camp at Bonnytown (re-)discovered in 1965, 2 km to the south-west (see Bonnytown SSL for details). Given the late appearance of the name in the record (1781) and the absence of an obvious chester in the vicinity, the name may have been transferred from elsewhere.
See also Chesterhill ANR and Chestris # KRY (1235, discussed in KRY Introduction).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3