Cartford Mill # SSL O NO546119 1
Comford mill 1753 Roy [rather than Camford Mill, as in PNF 3, 435, 455]
Carlford Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife [probably for *Cartford Mill]
Cartford Mill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [‘disused’]
en Cartford + Sc miln
Cartford is probably Sc cairt + fuird ‘a ford for carts’, over the Kenly Water, and it is best to assume that the Ainsle/Fife form is a simple typesetter’s error for *Cartford Mill, while the Roy form shows more serious transcription errors. It lies on the Bonnytown SSL side of the burn, and is called Bonytown Mill on SGF (1828), with the OS Name Book (64, 32) also siting it on Bonnytown farm, but including it in the parish of Dunino. It is there described as ‘[a]n old lint mill part of which is in ruins, and part slated, but unoccupied’.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3