Balrymonth SSL S NO520141 2
Barrimunid 1140 NAS GD45/27/8 fo 54r [printed Barrimund, St A. Lib. 122; first in list of lands granted to St Andrews Priory by Bp Robert]
Balrimund 1141 x 1150 David I Chrs. no. 126 [=St A. Lib. 190; royal confirmation of Bp Robert’s grant]
Barrimunid 1156 St A. Lib. 51
Barrimonid 1160 x 1162 St A. Lib. 131
Barrimunth 1165 x 1169 RRS ii no. 28 [o.c.]
Balrimund 1209 x 1228 Barrow 1971 no. 12 [o.c.]
Ballerimuned c.1220 Terrier D [17/18th c. copy; held of the canons by Adam son of Odo; see discussion below]
Barrimont c.1220 Terrier F [17/18th c. copy; ‘Barrimont et Galgille’ held by bp and his men; Galgille is unidentified]
landis of Estirbalrymonth 1434 St A. Lib. 423 [see Easter Balrymonth SSL]
oure landis of Westirbalrymonth 1440 St A. Cop. no. 108 [feued by St Andrews Priory to John Wardlaw; see discussion below]
Balrymont-Estyr 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land]
Balrymont-Westyr 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [see preceding]
Balrymundis 1471 RMS ii no. 1039 [with Sc pl. ending, referring to eastern and western halves]
Wester Balrymonth 1575 x 1601 RMS vi no. 1268 [see Pipeland SSL]
Balrymonth-Wester 1576 x 1601 RMS vi no. 1268 [see Pipeland SSL]
lie Bank de Balrymonth 1576 x 1601 RMS vi no. 1268 [‘the bank of (Wester) Balrymonth’]
Balrymonth 1583 St Andrews Kirk Session Records ii, 502 [‘James Hageis hous in Balrymonth’]
Balrymounthe Eister 1587 Assumption, 10 [in the lordship of St Andrews Priory, feued for £10 6 s. 9 d.]
Balrymonth Wester 1587 Assumption, 10 [feued for £10 13 s. 4 d.]
Balrymonth Eister et Wester 1593 RMS v no. 2273 [St Andrews Priory lands]
Balrymonth Wester 1596 Retours (Fife) no. 1528 [Alex. Wood of Lambieletham CMN]
Eister Balrymonth 1628 Retours (Fife) no. 404 [Thomas Morton (Myrton) of Cambo KBS]
Easter Balyrymonth 1646 Retours (Fife) no. 697 [see Easter Balrymonth SSL]
Balrymonth-Easter 1646 Retours (Fife) no. 697 [see Easter Balrymonth SSL]
Bareymont 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [represents Easter Balrymonth]
W. Bareymont 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Balrimount 1684 Adair/East Fife
Balrymount 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5
E. Balrymount 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5
E Balraymount 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Wester Balraymount 1775 Ainslie/Fife
E. Balrymonth 1828 SGF
W. Balrymonth 1828 SGF [with Balrymonth Cottown beside it to the west]
G baile + en * Rimonid
‘Farm on *Rimonid’; for the specific element, see Kilrymont SSL, below.
The Terrier shows that there were two places with this name already in the early thirteenth century, one belonging to the priory, the other to the bishop, although the first specific mention of Easter and Wester Balrymonth is in 1434 and 1440 respectively. By this time the priory had acquired both Balrymonths, as they lease both (1434 St A. Lib. 423 and 1440 St A. Cop. no. 108).
In the early thirteenth century (1209 × 1228) Adam of Kinninmonth sub-infeudated or sub-rented one of the Balrymonths to William son of Lambin, to be held of Adam during his (Adam’s) life-time for 1 silver mark annually. The Balrymonth in question (and it is not clear whether it was Easter or Wester) was estimated at a ‘ploughgate of land’ (illam carucatam terre) i.e. c.104 acres of arable (Barrow 1971 no. 12). It may be this fact that is referred to in the peculiar phrase ‘? Balmakie CER, SSL which hides Balrymonth’ (Ballemohob quod abscondit Ballerimuned) in Terrier D, the last item in the list of lands which Adam held of the priory (see Appendix 2, below).
In 1440 St Andrews Priory feued to John (of) Wardlaw all its lands of Wester Balrymonth, with the injunction that ‘he sall ger big on the said oure landis a bern, a bire and a sit-house’.
Easter and Wester Balrymonth can never have been contiguous, so quite exceptionally for Fife it is not a question of a later division of a single estate. In fact they lie c.5 km apart, with old-established estates such as Allanhill and Balmungo between them. This shows just how extensive the *Rìgh Monadh was (for further discussion of this name see above under King’s Muir CRA; see also Taylor 1998a, 3).
OS Pathf. also shows Wester Balrymonth, Wester Balrymonth Hill, Easter Balrymonth and Easter Balrymonth Hill. The above NGR is of the mid-point between Easter and Wester Balrymonth.
/balˈraimənθ/ or /bəlˈraimənθ/.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3