Ballewyne # SSL S
Ballewyne c.1220 Terrier F [17/18th c. copy]
G baile + ? pn Eoghan
‘?Eoghan’s farm’. An abbot Eoghan (Ewinus), no doubt abbot of the Culdees at St Andrews, is the last witness in a charter of Bishop Richard anent the parish kirk of the Holy Trinity (St Andrews) 1165 × 1169 (St A. Lib. 133). The bishop’s thane of Dairsie c.1160–62 was Eoghan Mac Mallothem (probably for Mallotheni) (ibid. 128).
This place-name occurs only in the Terrier (F), amongst lands belonging to the bishop. It probably lay in the east part of the parish, as this is where all the identifiable lands with which it is associated are to be located.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3