Falside KBS CRA S NO573133 1 363 30m NEF

Fausid c.1201 x 1205 RRS ii no. 435 [rubric; = St A. Lib. 314, which omits Fausid]
Faysyde 1263 x 1304 St A. Lib. 405 [land belonging to Priory of St Andrews, kept by the priory when it feus Pitmilly KBS to John Monypenny]
Fauside 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [... Boarhills (Byrehill) SSL, Falside (Fauside) KBS, Kilminning (Kylmonane) CRA, Kenly (Kenlochquhy) SSL ...]
terr<a> de Fawsyde 1471 RMS ii no. 1039 [‘with the cains of’ (cum canis de) Pitmilly KBS and Feddinch CMN]
Fausyd 1517 Crail Chrs. no. 24 [forms the western march of Pitmilly KBS]
Falsyde 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Fals-syde 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Fallside 1828 SGF
Falside 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

Sc faw + Sc side

‘Variegated or striped hillside’. It is identified as consisting of one carucate or ploughgate of land in Pitmilly KBS in the rubric of the charter confirming the grant of Falside to St Andrews Priory and its hospital, c.1201 × 1205 (RRS ii no. 435). The donor was Sir William de Hay, royal butler (pincerna), who had received the said carucate as dowry with his wife Eva before 1172 (St A. Lib. 313, 313–14). Falside was therefore the Sc name for an important division (probably a half) of the extensive lands of Pitmilly KBS, which St Andrews Priory and Hospital acquired in two stages (see Pitmilly KBS for more details). From the above evidence the coining of this place-name can be assigned to a period between about 1205 and the end of the thirteenth century. At the same time the name Pitmilly became restricted to that part of Pitmilly which Ada de Warenne had first granted to the priory and hospital of St Andrews in the 1170s.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 3