Cornceres KRY S NO579053 1 374 35m SEF
Cornserry 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Cornceres 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Cornceres 1828 SGF
Cornceres 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
While the origin, and even the original language, of this name remains a puzzle, it would seem that the written form has been influenced by the well-known east Fife place-name Ceres. That the second element was not originally -ceres is suggested not only by the earliest form (Cornserry 1775), but also by the local pronunciation, which omits the final s.
Although there appears to be no record of the place earlier than 1775, two parts of an eighth- or ninth-century cross-slab were found near the coast here in the second half of the twentieth century (see Trench-Jellicoe 1998, 512 and NMRS NO50NE 37 ‘Cornceres Farm’ and NMRS NO50SE 62 ‘Kilrenny’ for more details and references). The stone is carved with a ringed cross and a fox-like beast, possibly attacking a human figure. If these fragments were found near the cross-slab’s original site, it may have been, as Ross Trench-Jellicoe suggests (loc. cit.), a landfall marker on the shore for people arriving at Kilrenny by boat, or perhaps a boundary marker for St Ethernan’s church, performing the same function to the east of Kilrenny as the Skeith Stone did to the west (see Skeith Stone KRY).
/kɔrnˈsirɪs/ locally /kɔrnˈsirɪ/.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3