Shiremuir * KCQ S NO4508 3 200m

(the common moor of) Shyre 1404 Fraser, Wemyss ii no. 166 [editor’s translation of a Latin abstract made from a charter in the Wemyss charter chest, the original now being lost; see discussion for more details]
(half the lands of) Schiremure 1529 RMS iii no. 741 [king feus to Andrew Wood of Largo and Alison Hume his spouse half the lands of *Shiremuir with the right to build a mansion and policies there]
lie Schyre-mure 1561 RMS iv no. 1399 [to David Nairn, half the lands of Newton of Rires (Newtoun de Reres) with common pasture in the *Shiremuir]
Schyremure 1601 Retours (Fife) no. 94 [David Lyndsay of Balcarres (Balcarres) KCQ, 8 acres of the lands of Schyremure]
Schyremure 1643 Retours (Fife) no. 664 [lands and mill of Balcarres (Balcarras) KCQ, with common pasture and freedom of fuel gathering in the muir of *Shiremuir]
(half the lands of) Schiremure 1565 RMS iv no. 1588 [to Andrew Wood of Largo]
Sheirs muir 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [east of Falfield (Fauldfeelds)]
Schyremure 1656 RMS x no. 558 col. 5 [to Gibson of Durie SCO, lands including those of *Shiremuir, the waulkmill etc. thereof, and all mineral rights]

Sc shire + Sc muir

‘Rough grazing attached to a shire’, the eponymous shire being that of Rires KCQ. It is first mentioned in a charter by Sir John of Wemyss, lord of Rires, which grants various income, lands and rights to his newly-founded chapel of St Mary at Rires: 6 merks annually from the lands of Logie-Murdoch (Logymurtho) LOG, 6 merks from Pusk (Pursk) LEU, in the barony of Leuchars; also 13 acres of land, viz, 1 acre near the said chapel on the south, towards the east, 8 acres on the south of Easter Rires (Reres), 4 acres on the east side of Falfield (Fawfield) KCQ: also that long Strouthir (Langstruther # KCQ, q.v.) lying between Balcarres (Balcarhous) KCQ and Easter Rires (Reras) and Wester Rires (Reras), as far as the march of Newton (of Rires) (Newtoun) and pasture for 8 cows in Falfield (Fawfield), and pasture in the common moor of shire (Shyre) for as many cows, oxen, sheep, calves, horses, stirks, geese, hens, capons etc as they please. For soul of Robert III etc. Dated at the castle of Rires, 1 September 1404 (Fraser, Wemyss ii no. 166, p. 266). This is the editor’s translation of a Latin abstract made from a charter in Wemyss charter chest, the original now being lost. These lands in Rires which were attached to the chapel seem to have become known as Cumberlands (q.v., above).

This place-name appeared in printed volume 3