Colinsburgh KCQ S NO476034 1 374 40m SEF
Collinsburgh 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Collinsburgh 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Colinsburgh 1828 SGF
pn Colin + Sc burgh
‘The first few houses were called Nether Rires, having been built on lands of that name, immediately after they were acquired by the earl of Balcarres in 1681. They formed part of the hereditary possessions of the earls of Fife’ (Dick 1896, 10). Dick gives the exact extent of Nether Rires (ibid. 12). The name comes from Colin third earl of Balcarres, who acquired the land in 1681, and founded the village ‘to provide accommodation for the earl’s disbanded troops’ (ibid. 15). The first feu charters were issued 30 May 1682.
/ˈkɔlənzbʌrʌ/ or /ˈkɔlənzbrʌ/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3