Charleton KCQ S NO459038 2 70m
John Thomson of Charleton 1782 Sasines no. 418
Charleton 1828 SGF
Formerly Newton of Rires, it was bought by John Thomson of Charleton in 1740, who built a new house here in 1749 (Gifford 1988, 125). The name Charleton may have been transferred from Charleton by Montrose ANG, but there is no known connection between the Thomsons and the Montrose area.
OS Pathf. shows Charleton House and Charleton Farm.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3