Blakelyhill KCQ S NO470076 1 374 170m SOF
? pn Blakely or ? en Blakely + Sc or SSE hill
The first element may be a variant of the surname Blackley, for which see Black 1946, s.n. Alternatively it may represent an existing place-name deriving from Sc black (also blake or blaik etc) ‘black’ + Sc lea ‘tilled ground now pasture, open grassland’. If so, then it might be named from the fact that it was once surrounded by coal pits (see CBE Introduction, Coal-Mining, above; it is also shown on an old mining map (1914) at Fife Museum Services H.Q., County Buildings, Cupar, 1998).
In OS Name Book (early 1850s) the eponymous hill is named Blakely Hill, and described as ‘a small hill the surface of which is arable land. On its summit is a Trig. Station, called by Trig. Party Blakely’, while Blakelyhill is described as ‘a small farm house and offices in good repair, having a farm of land attached, occupied by Mr (or Mrs?) Simson, the property of Mr Dundas’ (23, 8). Blakely Hill lies beside the farm-house, to the north-east, but does not appear on any OS map, the reason being given as follows: ‘This name rejected for the hill as it will be enough to have it to [sic] the house’ (loc. cit.). The trig. point has now gone.
On Ainslie/Fife (1775) there is a W<ind> Mill marked on or very close to Blakely Hill, with Coal Pitts close by (see KCQ Ainslie/Fife Map, above).
Blakelyhill farm-house is now known as Ballochty House (with the stress on the second syllable). The origin of this name is uncertain, but it can be compared with the field-name Beloughty on Chesterstone farm LAR (q.v.).
The farm-steading has now been demolished to make way for a housing development.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3