Vous 1684 Adair/East Fife [apparently referring to both East and West Vows]
Vows 1703 Adair/Sea-Coast (Forth)
East Vows 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
SSE east + en Vow(s)
The names East Vows and West Vows also occur in KGH (see PNF 1, 396), referring like these ones to rocky formations a few hundred metres from the shore. Both rocks are visible only at low tide. On East Vows it is reported in the 1850s that ‘an iron chair or seat large enough to hold 8 or 10 persons is fixed on it supported by 6 iron bars, which raises it to the height of 8 feet above the level of the sea. It was erected by Commissioners of the Northern Lighthouse Company as a place of safety to shipwrecked seamen’ (OS Name Book 81, 27).
For a full discussion of the element vow, see PNF 5, Elements Glossary, s.v.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3