Bowhousloch 1599 RMS vi no. 874 [for context see ELI Introduction]
Booths 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1 [shown almost 2 miles west of the present site of Bowhouse, on south side of Kilconquhar Loch]
Littlebons<e> 1775 Ainslie/Fife [for Littlebouse, the final e being obscured by other lettering]
Bowhouse 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
‘Cattle-farm or vaccary’. Both Roy’s and Ainslie’s forms show that the name was pronounced as a monosylable in the eighteenth century (as /b¬ùz/ or /b¬ùs/). The modern disyllabic pronunciation has therefore probably been influenced by the written form.
Bowhouse ELI and Newark SMS now form two parts of one farm.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3