Struuithin 1140 St A. Lib. 122 [Bp Robert to St Andrews Priory]
Struuichin 1141 x 1150 David I Chrs. no. 126 [= St A. Lib. 190]
Struuichin 1160 x 1162 St A. Lib. 131 [Bp Arnold’s confirmation charter]
Struuithin 1165 x 1169 RRS ii no. 28 [o.c.]
terra utriusque Strufithin 1172 x 1178 St A. Lib. 134 (2) [Bp Richard’s charter of ‘the land of both Stravithie(s)’]
terram utriusque Struuethin x 1188 St A. Lib. 146 [Bp Hugh’s confirmation charter; one of grants of Bp Richard (but Struuethin mentioned in Bp Robert’s grant, so referring to one part of Stravithie only; see above St A. Lib. 134)]
Struuithin 1183 St A. Lib. 58 [Pope Lucius III’s confirmation charter]
utramque Struuehin 1183 St A. Lib. 59 [‘both Stravithie(s)’; Pope Lucius III’s confirmation charter]
Struhythin c.1220 Terrier C [17/18th c. copy; belonging to the priory]
Strathfatha c.1220 Terrier F [17/18th c. copy; belonging to bp and his men]
Stravethy 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land]
Stravathy 1587 Assumption, 10 [St Andrews Priory rental, feued for £22 8 s.]
Stravethy 1587 Assumption, 13 [to St Andrews Priory]
Straythwethy 1590 St A. Kirk Sess. 662 [Andrew Wood (Androw Wod) of Stravithie]
Andrew Wod of Straythwethy 1583 St A. Kirk Sess. 511 [Andrew Wood]
Stravethie 1593 RMS v no. 2273 [St Andrews Priory lands]
Androw Wod of Straythevethy 1594 St A. Kirk Sess. 782
(lands of) Stravethie 1625 Retours (Fife) no. 364
Strathdivetty 1642 Gordon MS Fife [also Strathdivetty mill]
(lands of) Stravithie 1642 RMS ix no. 1266 [with mills, manor and tower]
(lands of) Stravithie-Wester alias Bannafeild 1642 RMS ix no. 1266
Strafoothie 1643 SAUL CH2/1132 p. 30 [see discussion, below]
Stravelthie 1643 Retours (Fife) no. 647
Stravitthey 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Stradivetty 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [also Mill]
Stravithie Quarter 1745 Dunino Kirk Sess. Recs. [for constituents see DNO Introduction, The Five Quarters of Dunino]
Stravethy 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5 [also Cotts of Stravethy to the south-west]
Stravithy 1775 Ainslie/Fife [site of castle; also Stravithy Farm to north-east and Stravithy Cottown to the west]
Stravithy F<ar>m 1828 SGF [at site of OS Pathf. Stravithie Mains; also shows Stravithy Cotton at about NO523118]
Castle of Stravithy 1845 NSA ix, 365
Stravithie 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [= OS Pathf. Stravithie Mains; also shows ‘site of’ Stravithie Castle, Stravithie Mill ‘corn’ and Stravithie Mill (= OS Pathf. Nether Stravithie)]
? OG * srúb(h) or G sruth + ? + – in
The first element may be related to G sruth ‘burn’: burns are prominent around Stravithie, with the Wakefield Burn defining its southern march and Violet Latch defining its eastern march, while the Cameron Burn flows through the lands to join the Wakefield Burn. However, if the first element were sruth, it is strange that the final th has not been preserved (contrast this with the closely related word sruthair, found in Anstruther and Struthers CER, where the th has clearly survived). It is therefore worth considering an element which has hitherto not been recognised in eastern Scotland, but is almost certainly found in Strageith, a medieval parish in Strathearn PER (Strufkeath 1200 Inchaffray Chrs. no. 9), occurring also in several Irish place-names: OIr srúb, later srúbh ‘snout, beak; point, headland’. Not only would this account much more satisfactorily for the earliest forms, but there is also a very distinctive topographical feature to which it could apply, the very pronounced (high, long and narrow) headland formed by the confluence of the Cameron and Wakefield Burns a short distance east of the site of Stravithie Castle (probably the original centre of the lands of Stravithie).
The second element is also problematical, though the 1172 × 1178 form Strufithin suggests perhaps G fiodh (OIr fid) ‘wood’ (the material). The final element is clearly the locational suffix –in ‘place of’ or ‘place at’.
As with Strathtyrum SSL (q.v.), the first element has been assimilated to the common place-name element Strath-, possibly as early as the early thirteenth, certainly by the fifteenth century.
Although this place is named as one of the lands originally granted by the bishop for the establishment of St Andrews Priory in 1140, it is clear from later records that in fact only part of this land was given, the other part being given to the priory by Bp Richard 1172 × 1178 (St A. Lib. 134). A similar (though not completely analogous) situation obtained with Balrymonth SSL q.v. However, even this is not the full story, as the Terrier of c.1220 lists Stravithie as part of the priory’s lands, but also Strathfatha (if it is the same name) as belonging to the bishop and his men. Either this was a part of this land withheld by both Bp Robert and Bp Richard, or Bp Richard’s grant was not fully effective.
Stravithie Castle (‘site of’), shown on OS 6 inch 1st edn on an eminence on the north side of the Cameron Burn, provides the NGR above, as the original centre of the estate. Nothing now remains of the castle but a few ornamental trees. OS Pathf. Stravithie Mains (NO534121) is called simply Stravithie on OS 6 inch 1st edn (1855). OS Pathf. Stravithie does not refer to either of these sites, but to an area some 900 m south of Stravithie Mains which includes Stravithie Mill Bridge and Nether Stravithie, north of the confluence of the Wakefield Burn and the Dunino Burn. OS Pathf. Stravithie House, on the north bank of the Wakefield Burn, was formerly called Wakefield, appearing as such on OS 6 inch 1st edn.
The lands of Stravithie were transferred from SSL to DNO following a petition brought by the heritors and tenants to the Presbytery of St Andrews in 1643 (see DNO Introduction, Other Parish Boundary Changes).
/strəˈvɪθɪ/, /straˈvɪθɪ/, locally /strəˈvɪdɪ/.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3