Dunino Law DNO R NO542113 1 363 108m
Dunino Law 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
en Dunino + Sc law
A low but remarkably conspicuous hill in the relatively flat, upland landscape of this part of east Fife. It must be the eponymous dùn of Dunino, and probably had some kind of fortification on it.
There are traditions that an ancient building once stood on Dunino Law, whose remains were removed in 1815. Misled by the belief that Dunino contained a G word for ‘young woman, maiden’ (nighean), it has been frequently claimed that this building had been a nunnery. Rev. William West, Session Clerk and Schoolmaster of Dunino, writing in the 1790s, valiantly tried to scotch this belief, opening his account of the parish with the words: ‘Some persons, little less fanciful, perhaps, than intelligent, think that Denino derives its origin from the Gaelic word Dunynach, whose first constituent signifies hill, and the two last young women’ (OSA x, 247). Rev. James Roger, writing c.50 years later, cautiously endorses the nunnery theory (NSA ix, 356), which helped perpetuate the myth. Others, with much more probability, have suggested there may have been a fort on the hill. No archaeological evidence now remains of any structure (NMRS NO51SW 6).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3