Buthadlach # BEA S NT150940 2 120m
Buthedlach 1179 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 2
ad diuisas eorundem canonicorum de Bothedlach c.1241 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 20 [land given by Constantine of Lochore to the canons of Inchcolm from the little hill called Clune (Clon) BGY as far as the marches of Bothedlach belonging to the same canons]
Bothedlak 1441 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 51
Bothedlak 1441 RMS ii no. 268
Bothedlak 1460 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 260
Bathilokis 1543 RMS iii no. 2915 [Bathilokis called Hiltoun, Schelis, Eistirtoun, and Nethirtoun]
the Nathertoun of Bathedloskis 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 220
Eister Bothhidlokkis 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 222
Eister Bothylokis 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 218
(chapel of) Buthadlach 1642 Retours (Fife) no. 629 [chapel of Buthadlach which chapel now called Egilsmalye; see Notes below]
2 Bafiddlys 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Balthedlay 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Bafidlies 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) [misplaced south-west of Lumfinnans; the plural ending refers to two dots on the map]
Bu<t>hadlach 1668 Retours (Fife) no. 1029
Brouchhadlock 1872 Sasines no. 1544 [‘Chapel of Brouchhadlock, now called Eglismauldie’; see Notes below]
G both + ? G (f)eudaileach
‘Hut, shieling or bothy abounding in cattle’? The second element is probably G (f)eudaileach ‘abounding in cattle’, from OIr ét ‘cattle, riches’. Compare Mod G eudail ‘treasure, cattle’. It may also occur in Baledmond FGN and Piteadie KGH. The pastoral character of this upland estate as expressed by its G name lasted into the Sc-speaking period, with one of its divisions being called Shiells, now part of the east side of Kelty (NT148946). Remains of hut-circles are visible on the neighbouring Clune Craig BGY, and it may have been similar huts, presumably linked to the pastoral economy of the area, which were the eponymous bothan of Buthadlach.
The large estate of Buthadlach was one of the earliest possessions of the monastery of Inchcolm (Inchcolm Chrs. no. 2). An error in the two Retours entries has led to much confusion. The full entries read ‘... ecclesiam de Sanct Maleing nunc Inchkerie nuncupatam, cum capella Buthadlach nunc Egilsmalye nuncupata...’ (Retours no. 629, with minor changes in no. 1029). The church of St Maleing is obviously Egilsmalye (Legsmalee or Ecclesmaline KGH), and confirmation of this is provided in Inchcolm Chrs. nos. 1 and 2. In Inchcolm Chrs. no. 1 Ecclesmaline is listed as one of the original endowments of the new priory of Inchcolm. It is listed also in no. 2 (1179) in such a way that we can see how the Retours error arose. In this 1179 papal confirmation charter we find ‘... dimidiam carucatam terre iuxta ecclesiam Sancti Melini cum ipsa capella [i.e. Ecclesmaline of no. 1], Buthedlach per rectas divisas ...’: Buthadlach simply follows Ecclesmaline in the list. From this a text developed which would have read something like ‘dimidiam carucatam terre iuxta ecclesiam Sancti Malini Inchkerie nuncupatam cum ipsa capella Ecclesmaline nuncupata, Buthedlach etc.’, with Inchkeirie referring to the half-carucate, and Ecclesmaline referring to the chapel. It would be very easy for the following Buthedlach to become drawn into this complex sentence-structure, and this is indeed what has happened to produce the Retours entries.
It is clear from this that the chapel of St Malinus or Ecclesmaline has nothing whatsoever to do with Buthadlach. Ecclesmaline, with its adjacent lands of Inchkeirie, lay in a detached part of ABO, now KGH, between the modern farms of Broadleys and Grange, and is discussed in KGH Introduction and under Legsmalee KGH.
Buthadlach was divided into four parts, Easterton, Hilton, Netherton and Shiells, all of which first appear in a charter of 1543 (RMS iii no. 2915). They are all discussed under their respective headings.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1