Braehead 1753 Roy
Sc brae + Sc heid
‘Head or top of a brae’.
‘St Margaret’s Well(Site of)’ is marked as an antiquity on OS 6 inch 1st edn at NT11779268. OS Name Book 6, 59 (1854) describes it as: ‘A spring or well on the farm of Braehead. The farm lands and those of the adjoining farm belonged to Dunfermline Abbey, which probably accounts for the name. There is no tradition about the well’. A site visit in 1959 noted: ‘The spring now issues 29 metres south-south-east of the original site, which is indicated by a shallow depression surrounded by stones’ (NMRS NT 19 SW no. 1).
The site has now been destroyed by the St Ninians open-castcoal mine.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1