Kirkmay CRA S NO604073 1 364 40m EAF
Kirkmay 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5
Kirkmay 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Kirkmay 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc kirk + ? en May
According to Leighton Kirkmay was ‘formerly part of the estate of Barns’ (1840 iii, 91), and its position as the next farm east of Old Barns certainly supports this statement. The Cunninghams of Barns held the lands of the Isle of May in the seventeenth century (see for example Retours (Fife) no. 676 (1644), quoted under Isle of May ANR), and it is probably this connection which explains the second element of Kirkmay. It is unclear what kirk refers to, but one explanation might be that there was an old chapel at this site, or at least a building which was perceived to be a chapel or a church.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3