Kilminning CRA S NO631087 1 5m

Killmumkyn 1306 x 1329 RMS i app. 2 no. 492 A [16th c. index; Richard de Beaumont (de Bellomonte), of the lands of ‘Kilminning of Crail’ (Killmumkyn de Karell); note that no. 492 B, the 17th c. index, refers to the same charter as relating to the lands of Balcomie (Balony) and Crail (Karalle)]
Kylmonane 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [‘Byrehill (Boarhills SSL), Fauside (Falside KBS), Kylmonane, Kenlochquhy (Kenly SSL)’; St Andrews Church lands]
ad fines terrarum arabilium de Kilmynane 1537 NAS C2/36 43 [from the boundary description of the lands of Balcomie CRA, omitted from printed version RMS iii no. 1710; ‘to the marches of the arable lands of Kilminning’]
Kilmonane 1540 St A. Rent. 117 [set in feufarm to James Learmonth (Leirmonth) of Dairsie]
Kylmynnane 1558 x 1564 RMS iv no. 1538 [see Sauchope CRA]
Kylmynnane 1574 Ass. 177 [the teinds of Sauchope (Sauchop), Balcomie (Balcomy) and Kilminning amongst those of the parish of Crail paid to Haddington Priory; 3 chalders bere, £26 13 s. 4 d.]
Kylmynnane 1593 RMS v no. 2273 [in the barony of Boarhills (Byrhillis) SSL and Polduff (Polduf) SSL]
Kilnynane 1594 RMS vi no. 100
Kilminnen 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Killmonen 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Kilmonen 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
terris de Kilniniane 1668 Retours (Fife) no. 1042 [for Kilminane]
Kilmining Craig 1684 Adair/East Fife
Kilminnan 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5
Killmenie 1775 Ainslie/Fife [and Kilmenie Craig]
Kilminnan 1802 Sasines no. 6145 [in barony of Balcolmie (Balcomie) CRA; also mentioned are ‘21 acres called Kinnavie park’]
Kilminning 1828 SGF
Kilminning 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Kilminning Castle 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

G cill + pn Monan

‘Church of Monan or Móinenn’. If this analysis is correct, it would be by far the earliest evidence we have for the cult of St Monan in east Fife, perhaps as early as the eighth century (see Taylor 1996, 99, 106). See SMS Introduction for more details of this saint. For the discussion as to the correct identification of Kylmonane 1452, see Kinnemone # SSL, below.

There is strong archaeological evidence for there having been a church here, apart from the name itself. There have been frequent reports of the accidental unearthing of human bones, and an emergency excavation after the disturbance of one burial revealed ‘an extensive long cist cemetery, apparently terraced’ and, below this, evidence of an early building which is likely to have been a chapel. Nothing is now visible on the surface to indicate the presence of this early church site (NMRS NO60NW 8).

This place-name appeared in printed volume 3