Beverkae ABO S NT183893 1 394 160m NWF
Beverkae 1828 SGF
Beavercae 1837 Aberdour Map/1837
Beverkae 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Beverkae 1887 Sasines no. 2291 [George Philip, Earl of Moray, ‘Piece of land ... being part of the farms of Beverkae and Bucklyvie’]
Beaverkae 1899 OS 1 inch 2nd edn.
The first element would appear to be Sc or SSE beaver, but lack of early forms makes this interpretation very tentative. Beavers were nevertheless economically important, as seen in an account rendered in 1444 for two beaver-skins for the king’s use (‘pro duobus pellibus de bevero ad usum regis’), for five shillings and four pence (ER v, 149).
The name originally applied to a small steading or house at about NT180890, south-west of the roundabout known today as Beverkae. On the OS Pathf. Beverkae applies to the above-mentioned roundabout, or possibly to the building immediately to the east, while Beverkae House is marked as part of the Mossmorran ethylene plant, within Auchtertool parish.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1