Bellrock View CRA S NO543094 1 374 115m
Bellrock View 1900 x 1949 OS 6 inch County Series, 2nd revision
en Bell Rock + SSE view
The house is named after the marine feature Bell Rock on which stands a lighthouse (also called Inchcape Lighthouse) about 25 km to the north-east, 22 km off the Fife coast, but, as the name indicates, clearly visible from the house.
The settlement is shown on OS 6 inch (1855) as Kingsmuir Inn, a public house on the St Andrews to Anstruther Road, the property of Mr Hannay of Kingsmuir (OS Name Book 22, 25). It remained in his family until 1983 when it was sold. The building is marked but not named on SGF (1828). It ceased to be called Kingsmuir Inn around 1902, when the building was reduced from two storeys to one, but it is not certain that it acquired the name Bellrock View at the same time. When being remodelled, its walls were harled and painted white, which has given rise to another name by which it is locally known, the White House. It is also referred to as Halfway House, since it is halfway between Anstruther and St Andrews – and thus a convenient place for an inn in the nineteenth century. At some time between 1855 and 1902 it was also called Taylors’ Brae, which is thought to reflect the occupation of the tenants.
The Bell Rock itself, a shipping hazard to vessels in the Firth of Tay, is called after the bell that was placed on it as a warning, long before the building of the lighthouse there in 1813. According to tradition, the abbot of Arbroath ordered a bell to be fastened to the reef, but it was destroyed by a pirate who was later wrecked on the same rocks. The story is recounted in a well-known poem by Robert Southey (died 1843). A large bronze bell (dated 1810) survives from Bell Rock in the Arbroath Signal Tower Museum.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3