Ovenstone CBE S NO531052 1 374 60m SEF
Ewinstoun 1482 RMS ii no. 1528 [lands of Balcaskie (Balkyasky) CBE and Ovenstone]
Evynstoun 1503 ER xii, 713 [John Multrar of Ovenstone]
Evinstoun 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 398 [17th c. copy; Taxt roll of Fife, Balcaskie CBE and Ovenstone, £8]
molendino de Ewinstoun 1523 St. A. Forumlare no. 42 [‘mill of Ovenstone’]
cum cottagiis vocatis Ownstoun 1548 Retours (Fife) no. 12 [‘with cottager lands called Ovenstone’; see Balcaskie]
Ewingstoun c.1560 s Purves 153 [Balcaskie and Ovenstone, £8]
Ewynstoun 1618 Retours (Fife) no. 287 [William Sandilands (Sandelandis), an 8th part of the lands of Balcaskie and Ovenstone]
Ovenstoun 1619 Retours (Fife) no. 294 [Robert Multrar (Mowtray), an 8th part of the lands of Balcaskie (Balcriskie) and Ovenstone]
villam et terras de Unstoun 1635 RMS ix no. 463
Unstoun-Mylne 1635 RMS ix no. 463
Unstoun 1647 Retours (Fife) no. 728 [part of the lands and barony of Balcaskie CBE, q.v.]
Ovenston 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Ovenstoun 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Unseell 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [for Unsten (?), the engraver probably reading Pont’s t as e, and his n as double l]
Onestone 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Onestone Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Ovenstone 1828 SGF
Ovenstone Mill 1828 SGF
Ovenston 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
pn Eoghan + Sc toun
Eoghan (earlier Eogan, anglicised as Ewan) is found several times in charters of the later twelfth and thirteenth centuries, e.g. Ewin(us) abbot (no doubt of the Culdees of St Andrews) in the 1160s (St A. Lib. 133), Ewain sheriff of Scone 1163 × 1164 (RRS ii no. 243), and Ewayn judex in Atholl 1264 (St A. Lib. 349). A Ewen brother of Brokin witnesses two charters anent Davach Ichthar hathyn (? near Guardbridge LEU or SSL) in late twelfth century (ibid. 290, 291), while the bishop’s thane of Dairsie was called Eoghan (Hywanus) in a charter of 1160 × 1162 (ibid. 128). There was also one Gillemhìcheil mac Eoghain (son of Eoghan), Gillemichel Macewen, who held part of the land at Kemback from the bishop of St Andrews in the early thirteenth century (see Kemback KMB and Terrier, Appendix 2, this volume).
In 1223 one Ivo son of Nigel the cook (or Nigel Cook) was infefted in the lands of Balcaskie CBE (RRS Handlist/Alexander II nos.75, 76). The lands of Balcaskie and Ovenstone abut, and henceforth always appear together in charters. It is possible that Ivo is a Latinised form of Eoghan (just as the name of his father, Nigellus, could be a Latinisation of Niall). If this is the case, and Ivo was known locally as Eoghan, in both a Gaelic-speaking, and an increasingly Scots-speaking environment, then *Ewanstoun may have been coined to refer to part of the lands which Ivo Cook acquired in 1223.
Eoghan (Ewan) was an important name locally, as the nearby parish kirk of Abercrombie, which later developed into the parish of St Monans, was dedicated to St Eoghan (Eugenius), for which see SMS Introduction.
There was another Ovenstone, with the same derivation as well as very similar early forms, in SCO, about 16 km to the west.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3