Lingo CBE S NO503089 1 175m
Lingoch 1209 x 1209 x 1226 St A. Lib. 382 [rubric]
(land of) Lingoch 1209 x 1209 x 1226 St A. Lib. 383 [see CBE Introduction]
(Ulf of) Lingoch 1209 x 1209 x 1226 St A. Lib. 382–3 [see CBE Introduction]
Lingoc 1215 x 1222 May Recs. no. 19 [RRS Handlist/Alexander II no. 16; confirmation of Robert of London’s grant to May Priory of Lingo (Lingoc) ‘which was from (Robert’s) waste of Kellie’ (que fuit de vasto eius de Kellin)]
Lyngow 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [Pittenweem (May) Priory land]
Lyngow 1480 APS ii,m 195 [Pittenweem Priory land]
Lingo 1526 RMS iii no. 388 [among Pittenweem (May, q.v.) Priory lands]
Lyngow 1604 Retours (Fife) no. 143 [Peter Young, formerly Pittenweem Priory]
Lingo 1634 Retours (Fife) no. 504 [Thomas Fenton (Fentoun), in the lordship of Pittenweem]
Lingo 1643 Retours (Fife) no. 642 [among the lands of the lordship of Pittenweem, formerly of the priory]
Lingo 1671 Retours (Fife) no. 1102 [Robert Borthwick, portioner of Lingo, half the lands and vill of Lingo, in the lordship and regality of Pittenweem]
Lingo 1672 Retours (Fife) no. 1112 [Andrew Hamilton (Hamiltoun), son of Wm. Hamilton of Grangemuir, half the lands and vill of Lingo]
Lingow 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Lingo 1684 Adair/East Fife
Lingho 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
E. Lingho 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
E. Lingo 1775 Ainslie/Fife
W. Lingo 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Lingo 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Lingo 1828 SGF
Lingo 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
This is a difficult name to interpret. It is almost certainly a Celtic formation, with the suffix –och probably representing later Gaelic –ach. The first element may contain the root ling- ‘leap, rush’, found in the OIr verb lingid ‘leaps, rushes’. This would be especially appropriate for the burn now known as OS Pathf. Lathockar Burn, which, after several name changes along its course, becomes the Kenly Water ( after joining with the Dunino Burn or possibly the Cameron Burn). As the Lathockar Burn it forms the north-west march of both the lands of Lingo and CBE, flowing rapidly through Lingo Den, and over a large waterfall about two km downstream, in Kinaldy Den. Today the Lingo Burn is applied to the small burn which forms the southern march of Lingo, but this is almost certainly a later, secondary coining deriving from the settlement-name Lingo.
However, it is just possible that it contains the Sc ling ‘heather, whortleberry’. This makes good sense in relation to the upland and uncultivated nature of the land, described as waste in about 1220 (May Recs. no. 19). It may be that, as with Babbet KBS, CRA, we have a rare example of a loan-word from Scots into Gaelic in the mixed lingusitic environment of east Fife in the late twelfth and early thirteenth century, so evident, for example, in the 1235 Caiplie charter discussed in KRY Introduction.
As mentioned in the preceding paragraph, Lingo first appears in the early thirteenth century as land in the waste or uninhabited part of Kellie, and becomes part of the lands of the monastery of May (see CBE Introduction). After the Reformation it is part of the lordship of Pittenweem.
A few hundred metres to the east of West Lingo lie the remains of what seems to be the moat of a medieval homestead, at NO4964 0877, with its wet ditch fed by a burn. It is described in 1968 as ‘almost completely destroyed’ (NMRS NO40NE 1). It is marked on OS Pathf. and OS Explorer (2001) as ‘Homestead Moat (remains of)’.
OS Pathf. shows Lingo Burn, Lingo Burnside, Lingo Den, Lingo Big Wood, Lingo House (which supplies the above NGR) and West Lingo. SGF (1828) and OS 6 inch 1st edn (1855) have Lingo for OS Pathf. Lingo House. Ainslie/Fife (1775) has E. and W. Lingo close together near OS Pathf. Lingo House, while OS Pathf. shows West Lingo c.1 kilometre to the west of Ainslie/Fife W. Lingo.
OS Pathf shows Lingo Den not on the Lingo Burn, but on the Lathockar Burn, the upper reaches of the Kinaldy Burn (see discussion, above).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3