Clachreid Ha’ CBE S NO486058 1 130m
Cloughret Hall 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Clochredha’ 1818 RHP23079/2 [and West Clochredha’, two field-names on the lands of Kilbrackmont KCQ]
Cloughret Hall 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Clachreid Ha’ 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [marked as ‘ruin’]
Sc clochret + Sc hall
‘Stone-chat or wheat-ear hall’. The origin of Sc clochret is G cloichearan ‘wheat-ear or stone-chat’. The stone-chat’s alarm call is especially reminiscent of the sound made by striking together two pebbles, hence its name in both English and Gaelic (from clach ‘stone’). Sc hall is no doubt being used ironically, as is often the case with this word in place-names. There is a common type of minor place-name in the English north and midlands, as well as in Scotland, which combines bird-names with this element (see Hough 2003, 2004).
In the early 1850s the OS Name Book (23, 37) described the site as being occupied by ‘two small thatched cottages tennanted by agricultural labourers’. These are marked but not named on OS Pathf. The field (centred at NO487057) at the edge of which these cottages stand is still known as Clachreid Ha’.
It has given its name to the adjacent OS Pathf. Clachreid Ha’ Wood KCQ.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3