le Muretoun 1440 RMS ii no. 244 [‘and Lathockar’ (et Athokyre)]
Muretoune 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land, listed between Lathockar (Lathokir) and Lathones (Lathone) CMN]
the Muirtoun of Lathocker 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 401 [17th c. copy]
Eister and Wester Mortonis 1592 APS iii p. 549, ch. 20 [see CMN Introduction]
Murtoun 1593 RMS v no. 2273 col. 4. [‘... Lathone, Murtoun, Lathoker ...’]
E. Mortown 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1 [the western part is not shown]
E. Morton 1775 Ainslie/Fife
W. Morton 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Wester Morton 1815 SAUL MEP 16
Sc muir + Sc toun
‘Toun or farm on the muir or rough grazing land’. It is clear from the early forms that it is closely associated with the lands of Lathockar and Lathones CMN. It appears to have been divided by the late sixteenth century (APS iii p. 549, ch. 20). Ainslie/Fife’s W. Morton is shown at a site which is now submerged beneath, or on the south bank of, Cameron Reservoir, while E. Morton is shown at approximately NO477106. Roy (1753) shows E. Mortown at approximately the same position as Ainslie/Fife W Morton, i.e. where Cameron Reservoir now lies. They were adjacent to but separate from the estate of Lathockar in 1815, since the plan of that estate (SAUL MEP 16) shows ‘Wester Morton Lands’ as forming the north and north-west march of the Lathockar farm of Northbank (North Bank). They are not marked on SGF (1828).
There were other areas of muir in this upland area of the East Neuk (traditionally referred to as the Riggin o Fife), and which are reflected in the place-names. For example, muir on the south-eastern edge of the lands of Lathockar is indicated by the name Mooredge (‘muir edge’) on Ainslie/Fife (1775) at c.NO495097. It appears again on Ainslie/East Fife (1827), but not on SGF (1828). There were two other places called Muiredge in the parish, each referring to separate stretches of muir, one on the lands of Winthank CMN (on the western edge of Feddinch Muir), and one on the lands of Wilkieston CMN. Both of these are discussed under Muiredge (Winthank) CMN, below.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3