Lorinny 1775 Ainslie/Fife
part of Radernie called Rarinnie 1794 Sasines no. 3871
Rawrenny or Lawrinny 1811 Sasines no. 9254 [to David Hodge, tenant of Teuchats (Teuquats) LAR ... 83 acres + ‘of the lands of Radernie (Raderny) called Rawrenny or Lawrinny’]
<R>arinnie 1820 Sasines no. 13012 [‘quarter of Raderny with pendicles called Constable Crook, <R>arinnie and Braeside’]
Larinny 1828 SGF
Larennie 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
? G leth + ? roinn + or ? G rinn + ? – in
‘(Place of the) half division’ or ‘(place of the) half point’? Although no pre-eighteenth-century record of this name has been found, the name is probably Gaelic. The first element may well be G leth ‘half’, found also in nearby Lathockar CMN and Lathones CMN. Larennie is not, however, part of that division, as it is separated from them by Radernie CMN, of which Larennie probably formed the western part. Ronald Black (pers. comm.) suggests that the second element may be G roinn ‘division’, which would be an appropriate etymology, Larennie being a division of Radernie. Alternatively it may contain G rinn ‘point, promontory’. Larennie is at the west end of a small ridge, on the north side of which the land drops down into a bog.
The forms with initial r for l have probably been influenced by Radernie, on the lands of which Larennie lay. Both r and l are known as liquid consonants, and are prone to being confused with one another.
Larennie is described as a pendicle of Radernie in 1820, along with Constable Crook, the specific element of which denotes land which once supported the office of constable of the episcopal castle at St Andrews. From documentary evidence we know that at least part of the lands of Lathockar CMN was used for that purpose.
/laˈrɛnɪ/ or /ləˈrɛnɪ/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3