Gilmortoune 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land]
Gilmerstoun 1587 Assumption, 13 [listed in the rental of the teind sheaves of the St Andrews Priory, within the parish of St Andrews (the Trinity); leased for 4 bolls bere, 1 chalder oats]
Kilmerstoun 1592 APS iii, p. 549, ch. 20
terris de Gilmorstoun 1643 Retours (Fife) no. 660 [John Hamilton of Kinkell (Kinkell) SSL, with the lands of (North) Kinaldy (Kinnaldie-Norder) CMN]
Gillmerstoun 1645 APS vi (part i), p. 332 [part of newly formed CMN]
Gilmerton 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5
Gilmerton 1800 Cameron Parish Papers
Gilmerton Cotton 1800 Cameron Parish Papers [also has ‘Shuttlefield (on S. side of Gilmerton)’]
Gilmertown 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Gilmerton 1828 SGF
Gilmerton 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
pn Gillemhuire + Sc toun
The personal name Gillemhuire, meaning ‘servant or devotee of Mary’, was a common one in the twelfth and early thirteenth century in eastern Scotland. See Watson 1926, 134; and for Fife examples see St A. Lib. 263, 290–1, 329. It appears in modern form as the surname Gilmour.
From RRS Handlist/Alexander II no. 208 and Laing Chrs. no. 15 we learn that up until c.1235 one Adam son of Adam son of Gilmur Makmartin had held from the chapel royal of St Mary’s at St Andrews, formerly the Culdees, the lands of Lambieletham and Kininnis # CMN. Gilmerton abuts these lands on the south, and the likelihood is that Gilmur Makmartin, born c.1160, is the eponymous Gilmur of Gilmerton. See *Balmartin SSL for more details.
The bearer of the Morbrac (the ‘great shrine’ or ‘great reliquary’, for which see also *Nevethy-endoreth SSL) for the canons of St Andrews c.1200 was called Gilmur (St A. Lib. 329), and it is possible that this is the same person as Gilmur Makmartin.
The NGR is of Gilmerton before the building of Gilmerton House, and is now in a wood called Gilmerton Wood (Gilmerton Estate Plan). It is shown as the site of the farm on Ainslie/Fife (1775), SGF (1828) and OS 6 inch (1855). OS Pathf. Gilmerton House is beside Brigton at NO510115, and is not marked on OS 1 inch (1899), but does appear on OS 1 inch (1925).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3