Cottyhill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc cutty + Sc hillock
Probably ‘short, stumpy hillock’, but see Cutty Hillock CRA for discussion of other possibilities.
The house is shown, but not named, on the plan of the estate of Lathockar of 1815 (SAUL MEP 17), and is described simply as a pendicle. It is at or near Ainslie/Fife’s Mooredge, for which see *Muirton CMN, below. From the OS Name Book we know that in the early 1850s it was in good repair and ‘tileroofed’, and consisted of ‘a farm of eight acres of ground ... tenanted by Robert Patterson and ... the property of Captain Alexander Cheape of Lathokar’ (21, 13).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3