Crossgates 1828 SGF
Crossgates 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc cross + Sc gate
‘Crossroads’. Today three roads meet at this particular point, with a fourth road slightly to the north, which goes east to Nether Radernie. This is also the road lay-out on SGF (1828). However, on Ainslie/Fife (1775) the road coming west from Lathones is shown as meeting with the other three roads at this point, and if this is a true representation of the roads at this time the junction was indeed a crossroads. Ainslie/Fife does not show any settlement at this point. Ainslie/East Fife (1827) shows the modern road lay-out, but does not have the name Crossgates. It does, however, show a settlement there, which it calls Marrions. The OS Name Book describes Crossgates as a public house whose occupier, Mr William Robertson ‘is licensed to sell spiritous liquors’ (18, 26).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3