(lands of) Clerkinschelis 1539 St A. Rent. 41 [lands of Lathones (Lathonis) CMN, lands of *Clerkinsheils]
(third part of) Clerkinschelis 1542 St A. Rent. 135 [Lathones (Lathonis) CMN and a third part of *Clerkinsheils]
Sc clerk + Sc sheil
‘Cleric’s or clerics’ sheilings’. Associated with the lands of Lathones CMN, it almost certainly lay in the same part of the parish. According to St A. Rent. the church of St Andrews had an interest in these lands, which probably explains the specific. Note the place-name Bruntshiels (Burnschelis 1510 RMS ii no. 3427), which contains the same generic. It lies in the north part of KCQ c.3 km west of Lathones. It is possible that Bruntshiels and Clerkinsheils were contiguous.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3