Carngour CMN SSL S NO520126 1 363 90m

Carngoure 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land]
Carnegowre 1481 Laing Chrs. no. 184 [the lands of Letham (Lethyn) CMN and Carngour called *Kininnis (Kyninnis), connected with the church and chapel royal of St Mary’s, St Andrews]
Carngowr 1482 Laing Chrs. no. 186 [as above Laing Chrs. no. 184]
Carngowre 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 401 [17th c. copy; Lambieletham and Carngour]
Cragingour 1521 Laing Chrs. no. 330 [a third of Lambieletham (Lamelathen) and Carngour feued to James Dundas of Craigtoun (Cragtoun) CMN]
Carngour 1528 Laing Chrs. no. 370 [Carngour called Kininnis (Kynnis)]
Carnegour 1576 Laing Chrs. no. 943 [lands of Lambieletham (Lambelethame) and Carngour now called *Kininnis (Kynnynes)]
Karingo’r 1592 APS iii, p. 549, ch. 20
Carnegour 1601 Retours (Fife) no. 109 [Mary Scott, lands of Carngour and Lambieletham, and mill]
? Carrin 1645 APS vi (part i), 332 [part of newly formed CMN]
Carnegor 1646 Retours (Fife) no. 697 [sic; John Scrimgeour (Scrymgeor), half the lands of Carngour]
Carnegour 1655 Retours (Fife) no. 1592 [Hugh Scrimgeour (Scrymgeour), merchant in St Andrews, in ‘two thirds’ (the twa pairt) of the lands of Carngour]
W Caringouer 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5
E Carngour 1775 Ainslie/Fife
W Carngour 1775 Ainslie/Fife
East Karngour 1800 Cameron Parish Book
West Karngour 1800 Cameron Parish Book
E. Carngour 1828 SGF
W. Carngour 1828 SGF
East Carngour 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
West Carngour 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
E. Carngour 1926 OS 1 inch ‘Popular’ edn [W. Carngour is not shown]

G càrn + G gobhar

‘Goat cairn’. Its older name was *Kininnis. Although Carngour first appears as an alternative for Kininnis in the fifteenth century, this G name must have been in existence by about 1200, and probably well before that. The change of name may have been caused by the relocation of the main settlement area within the estate. For the early tenurial history of Carngour, see *Kininnis CMN.

Cragingour of Laing Chrs. no. 330 (1521) is most likely a scribal error through anticipation of the next place-name to be mentioned in the charter, which is Cragtoun.

Ainslie/Fife’s E Carngour is OS Pathf. Carngour, while West Carngour, to the south-west of (Easter) Carngour, and which also appears on SGF (1828) and on OS 6 inch (1855) (at NO516123), has now completely disappeared.

/karn gəur/ or /ˌkarnˈgəur/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 3