Loch Ore BGY W NT1695 1 90m
Lacu de Inchgall 1546 RMS iv no. 47 [loch of Inchgall]
lacu de Inschegall 1616 RMS vii no. 1405 [see BGY Introduction]
lacu de Inchgall 1642 Retours (Fife) no. 619
Loch Orr 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Loch Orr 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Loch of Inchgall 1786 Sasines no. 1389
Loch Ore 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn. [‘site of Loch Ore formerly Inchgall Loch’]
G loch + en Ore
Although the loch itself is first referred to as the loch of Inchgall, there is no doubt that Loch Ore was the older name for this shallow loch, since already in the twelfth century it had given its name to the whole surrounding territory of Lochoreshire (defined by the medieval parishes of Ballingry and Auchterderran, for more details of which see BGY Introduction, as well as Lochore and Lochoreshire BGY). Inchgall was originally the name of an island within the loch, on which was built Lochore Castle.
The loch itself was drained in the 1790s, presumably shortly after the author of the OSA entry for Ballingry wrote that ‘the present proprietor hath formed a plan for draining this lake which is already far advanced’ (p. 76). See also Henderson 1990 under (The) Grand Cut and Loch Ore. It is thus shown on Ainslie/Fife (1775) but not on SGF (1828), nor on OS 1 inch (1899). It was not reconstituted as a loch until the second half of the twentieth century.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1