Pilgrims Haven ANR C NT658989 1 364
Pilgrims-haven 1710 Sibbald 1803, 99
Pilgrims Haven 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn 28
SSE pilgrim + SSE haven
OS 6 inch (1855) map also shows some off-shore rocks by Pilgrims Haven called The Pilgrims. See also Pilgrims Well ANR, below. The OS Name Book (1, 13) gives no explanation as to how it obtained its name, writing only: ‘A small bay or creek on the west side of the Island, near its south end. Sometimes used as a landing place during easterly winds’. However, it is most likely connected with the well-documented medieval pilgrim traffic to the island. While not the site of the modern harbour, it is the nearest landing-place to the medieval church.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3