Chesterhill ANR S NO562033 1 20m
apud lie Chestirhill 1576 x 1593 RMS v no. 2324 [priory lands feued to James Strang in Anstruther and Margaret Wayde his spouse: 1.5 acres of arable land, that is one acre ‘at the Lickerstane’ (apud lie Lekkerstane), half an acre ‘by the run-rigs at the Chesterhill’ (per lie ryn-buttis apud lie Chestirhill)]
apud lie Chesterhill 1634 Retours (Fife) no. 508 [William Strang, grandson and heir of James Strange, an acre of arable land ‘apud lie Likkerstane’, and half an acre of arable land ‘per lie rin buttis apud lie Chesterhill’; see previous entry]
prope Chesterhill 1673 Retours (Fife) no. 1124 [Andrew Keir; an acre of land called *Long Acre (Long Aiker), ‘near Chesterhill’, within the limits of the said burgh of Pittenweem (Pittinweyme)]
Chesterhill 1790s OSA 35
Chesterhill 1828 SGF
the Chester-Hill 1845 NSA ix, 620
Chesterhill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Chesterhill Ho<use> 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [south of Chesterhill]
Sc chester + Sc hill
‘Hill of the (old) fortification’. The 1790s OSA reference describes Chesterhill as ‘a large mound ... in the middle of which is a fine well.’ It also recounts the recent discovery of two well-preserved skeletons dug up from the side of the mound ‘inclosed in a kind of coffin, consisting of a large stone at each end and side’ – what is now called a cist (OSA 35–6). The OS Name Book (82, 66) speaks of ‘a small eminence’ on the site, and Armitage (1912, 308) believes that this was the site of a castle, and sees OSA’s ‘fine well’ as confirmation of this. The fact that the name Chesterhill contains a Sc word for a fortification (SND) further supports Armitage’s suggestion.
Stevenson (1989, 3) suggests that this is the same site as *Moot Law (Motlau), but all the surviving references to *Moot Law place it in ANE (q.v.).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3