Harran Hill BGY R NT160966 1 384 190m
Harran Hill 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Ainslie/Fife (1775) shows a settlement, Pows, on the summit of the hill, which is Bowhouse # BGY, q.v.
Henderson 1990, under Harran Hill: ‘Also known as Bowhouse Bank ... The name may be derived from the Scots word harrow or harra, the name given to the agricultural implement for breaking up ground after ploughing. The hill bears on its surface a remarkable series of deep cuts, evidence of early cultivation using the Scottish wooden plough which was usually pulled by a team of oxen. “Harran” was the name given to a coarse cloth made from the “hards” of flax or hemp, but it does not seem appropriate to apply it in this instance’. The deep cuts mentioned here are a series of well-preserved lynchets or small terraces. Sc harn (also harran) is defined by SND as ‘coarse linen cloth made from the refuse of flax or hemp, sackcloth’. It is in fact conceivable that this word could have been applied figuratively to the terraced surface of the hill.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1