Rigby CER S NO392123 1 100m SEF
Rigby 1954 OS 1 inch 7th series (version A)
Rigby 1955 OS 1:25000 1st series [compiled from 6 inch sheets last fully revised 1912–13]
Rigby 1963 OS 1 inch 7th series (version A)
This is a modern formation, using the place-name element -by, deriving ultimately from ON bý(r), found occasionally in Fife (see Elements Glossary PNF 5), but much better known in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire (as -by or -bie). The first element is the surname Rigg, since a family of this name were important land-holders in the area for much of the early nineteenth century. In 1820, according to John Wood’s map of Cupar, James Home Rigg was living at Tarvit House and was proprietor of land between it and the River Eden. According to OS Name Book (1853) the northern part of nearby Cairngreen Wood CUP also belonged to J[ohn] H[ome] Rigg Esq., Tarvit. This man’s father was Patrick Rigg, who also held Tarvit House. In 1841 John Home Rigg’s son, Patrick Rigg, married his first cousin, Margaret Brougham, daughter of Margaret Rigg, who was herself the daughter of Patrick Rigg senior (Burke’s Peerage 2003). The Riggs held land at Tollcross, Edinburgh, which has given rise to a clutch of related names in this part of town, such as Home Street, Tarvit Street and Brougham Street (see also Drumdryan Quarry CUP PNF 4).
It appears as Longridge on OS 6 inch 1st edn (1855), as well as on OS 1 inch 2nd edn (1897). Neither Rigby nor Longridge are on OS 1 inch 7th series reprint of 1967–68, nor on OS 6 inch 1970 revision, but Rigby still appears on OS Mastermap (2007).
The name is discussed briefly in Taylor 1995a, 167, where it was rejected as being a genuine early bý-name on account of its very late appearance in the record.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2