Threapinch * SCO S NO370006 2
apud Threpinche 1395 Fraser, Wemyss ii no. 24 [place where suits of court are to be rendered thrice a year, for the lands of Innerleven (Enerlevyn) WMS (for which see PNF 1 s.n.)]
apud locum qui vocatur Threpehynche 1396 Fraser, Wemyss ii no. 25
T(h)reipland alias Trapinsche 1609 RMS vii no. 153 [one of the lands of Scoonie, see SCO Introduction, Leven and Lands]
Thraipland alias Traipinsche 1619 x 1620 RMS vii no. 2151 [see Leven SCO]
Threpland alias Threp<in>che 1644 Retours (Fife) no. 680 [printed Threptuche, presumably for Threpinche; Gibson of Durie, in barony of Durie]
Threipland alias Threipinsche 1662 Retours (Fife) no. 920
Threipland alias Threipinsh 1699 Retours (Fife) no. 1425
Sc threap + Sc inch
This probably means ‘inch or haugh which was the subject of a dispute’; however, it is possible, given that this was where the court met (see 1395 entry), that it signifies a place where disputes were heard.
The name has survived as Threapland or Threipland near the site of Haugh House (NO367008). Both inch and haugh probably refer to the same feature, the large stretch of low-lying ground on the north bank of the Leven below Haugh House, whence the approximate NGR given above.
There is mention of an island called Werdale ‘lying in the middle of the River Leven’ (in medio aque de Lewyn iacente), associated with the lands of Innerleven (Inverleven) WMS (1388 Fraser, Wemyss ii no. 16). This is probably ‘a division of land (Sc dale) at a weir’, in the sense of OSc wer(e) ‘a barrier or trap preventing the movement of fish; an embankment’ (DOST).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2