Montrave SCO S NO379063 1 373 170m SOF
Matheryue 1160 x 1172 N. Berwick Cart. no. 3 [see Aithernie SCO, above]
Malthrif 1165 x 1172 N. Berwick Cart. no. 4 [rubric]
Mathriche 1165 x 1172 N. Berwick Cart. no. 4 [presumably for Mathrithe; see Aithernie SCO, above]
Machrive x 1199 SHS Misc. iv no. 4, p. 308 [19th c. copy; presumably for *Mathrive; Aithernie (Adernin) and Montrave]
Mathriue 1204 x 1230 N. Berwick Cart. no. 7 [o.c.]
Mathriue 1212 x 1214 RRS ii no. 516 [o.c.; = N. Berwick Cart. no. 9; see Aithernie SCO, above]
Math’riue 1204 x 1266 N. Berwick Cart. no. 10 [possibly 1204 x c.1214 N. Berwick Cart. Syllabus, 1; ‘Pratis and Montrave SCO’ (Pratras et Math’riue). Perhaps for Math<er>riue or similar, unless the mark above r is simply a flourish: see facsimile in N. Berwick Cart. The mark is very similar to the abbreviation mark over u in u’sus (= uersus) in the following line of the same charter. See SCO Introduction for context]
Lochrive 1405 St A. Cop. no. 27 [rubric; dispute over teinds between St Andrews Priory and the nuns of North Berwick; judgement given in favour of St Andrews Priory]
loc<us> de Mathryve 1405 St A. Cop. no. 27 [of the parish of Scoonie (Scuny)]
Montthryff 1545 x 1555 N. Berwick Cart. xxii [‘set to Maister George Lunde, Over Prater(Over Pratis LAR) and Nether Prater (Nether Pratis LAR), and Montthryff’]
Monthrive 1588 RMS v no. 1492
Monthryve 1591 RMS v no. 1942
Mondthryve 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Cotton of Mondthryve 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Mondthryve 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Cottoun of Mondthryve 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
terras de Monthryff 1662 Retours (Fife) no. 914 [Thomas Hope of Craighall CER, in barony of Craighall]
James Flimen in Monthryve 1668 Lamont’s Diary 205 [an elder of the kirk, ‘ane old man, abowt 80 yeirs of age’, on the stool of repentance at Scoonie (Scony) for fornication]
terris de Monthryve 1686 Retours (Fife) no. 1272 [William Hope, in barony of Craighall]
Minthrive 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Mount Thrivie 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Mountthrive 1827 Ainslie
Monthrive 1828 SGF
Montrave 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [also shows Montrave Hill]
? Pictish * math or Pictish * maith + Pictish * trev
‘Good or extensive farm’? The name is probably Pictish, as first suggested by W. J. Watson (using his general term ‘British’ for northern P-Celtic). He proposes the etymology “British mad-tref, ‘good tref’” (using modern Welsh orthography) (Watson 1926, 403). There is little doubt that the second element is a reflex of the Celtic word *trebo-, which gives Welsh tref, the standard word for ‘farm’, and which existed in Pictish as *trev or the like, with a similar meaning, as well as in Old Irish (as treb). The first element Watson equated with modern Welsh mad ‘lucky, fortunate; good, pleasant’, cognate with G math ‘good’. Another possibility is that is contains the Pictish cognate of Welsh maith ‘long, far, extensive, large’, discussed as perhaps underlying the name Matha applied to the gate (‘the great door’) into the church complex at St Andrews (see SSL Introduction, Foundation Accounts, PNF 3).
The early forms Matheryue (1160 × 1172) and Math’riue (c.1214) appear to contain an epenthetic vowel between the th and the r. An epenthetic vowel between t and r also appears in Troustrie CRA (1235 Trostory) q.v., which probably contains the same generic element *trev.
In the rubric of St A. Cop. no. 27 of 1405 Lochrive (or Lothrive) is given as an alternative name for Montrave (in the text, Mathryve). It is difficult to dismiss this as some form of copying or transcription error (for *Mothrive or the like), especially in the light of OS Pathf. Londive Hill at the western limits of the lands of Montrave, which might be a development of Lochrive or Lothrive, with an intrusive n (by analogy with Montrave) and loss of r in the resulting consonant cluster -nthr- or similar. The first element may in fact be G loch ‘black’ or lòch ‘black, shining’ (for which see King 2005, 78–9); or G loth ‘mud’; while the second element would appear to be the same as that of Montrave.
OS Pathf. also shows Montrave Hill and Montrave Home Farm.
/mɔnˈtrev/ or /mənˈtrev/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2