Linnwood Hall SCO S NO372016 1 373 30m
Charles Carlow of Linnwood Hall 1893 [<http://www.mining-villages.co.uk/11.html>]
Linnwood Hall 1900 x 1949 OS 6 inch 1st edn, 2nd revision
Linnwood Hall 1927 OS 1 inch ‘Popular’ edn
Linnwood Hall 1945 Fife Coal Company 1946, 12
en Linnwood + SSE hall
The site was formerly part of the lands of Durie and was bought by Charles Augustus Carlow, manager of the Fife Coal Company in the late nineteenth century, from the Christies of Durie. Carlow built Linnwood Hall on the site, but the inspiration for the name is not known. It may have been transferred from Linwood RNF. Linnwood Hall was initially the home of the Carlows, then it became a convalescent home for miners’ wives, then a List D school, and finally was converted into flats. It has given rise to the local street-name Linnwood Drive.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2