Cuffabout SCO S NO382026 1 40m
Cuffabout 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Cuffabout 1828 SGF
Cuffabout 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
The name is also that of a small settlement in Carriden (now Bo’ness and Carriden) WLO, in the form Cuffabouts (Cuffabouts 1669), which MacDonald would derive from Sc cuff ‘to winnow corn for the first time’ (see SND 1, DSL), adding ‘a mill must have stood at the spot’ (1941, 35).
It applies to a small building on the west side of the Letham Burn, beside Coldstream, marked, though not named, on OS Pathf., and still known locally as Cuffabout. As in the case of Cuffabouts WLO, Cuffabout SCO must also have been a mill, since it is almost completely surrounded by flowing water, sitting as it does hard between the Letham Burn and the Meggie Den Burn just north of the point where they meet to form the Scoonie Burn.
/ˈkʌfəbəut/, locally /ˈkʌfəbut/..
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2