Johnston’s Mill NBN S NO437024 1 10m
Johnnestounes Mylne c.1560 s Assumption 28 [rental of Dunfermline Abbey; ‘teind bere of Newburne ... Johnnestounes Mylne 1 b<oll>’]
Johnesonis myln 1597 Laing Charters no. 1324 [John Johns(t)on (Johnsoun), miller of the mill of Johnstons Mill; see discussion]
Johnesoun’s mill 1597 Laing Charters no. 1324 [Thomas Johns(t)on (Johnesoun) in Johnstons Mill]
Jhonstons mille 1650 Lamont’s Diary 14 [‘Captaine Walter Cockburne in Jhonstons Mille depairted out of this life’]
Jhonestone Mille, 1652 , Lamont’s Diary 38
Jhonstons-mille 1654 Lamont’s Diary 74 [Alison Orrock, widow of Captain Walter Cockburn, ‘gaue up house at Jhonstons-mille and went vp to the Cults (Cults CLT), to stay with her son]
Jonstons Mille 1667 Lamont’s Diary 203 [an English sailor dies there]
Iohnsons mill 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Johnstons Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Johnstons Mill 1828 SGF
Johnstons Mill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Johnston’s Mill burn 1895 Millar i, 27
Johnston’s Mill burn 1907 Cunningham 1907, 2
pn Johnston + Sc miln
The Johnston family must have been hereditary millers here from at least the 1560s, when the name first appears in the record. The first time a Johnston is explicitly mentioned in connection with the mill is in 1597, when one John Johnston (Johnsoun) miller of the mill of Johnston’s Mill (Johnesonis myln) was involved in a dispute over ‘the watter maill’ and other duties regarding the mill. One of the witnesses who gave evidence of damage done to the mill-dam by John Lundy of Strathairly LAR in this dispute was Thomas Johnston (Johnesoun) in Johnston’s Mill (Johnesoun’s mill), clearly a relative of John (Laing Charters no. 1324). The mill-dam gave rise to the place-name Damside # LAR, discussed under Keir LAR, above.
Johnston’s Mill Burn is one of the names of the burn which forms the southern part of the boundary of LAR and NBN, flowing into the sea at NO437023 (see also *Aberdollo LAR). From the 1660 boundary description of the lands of Keirs and Damside # LAR (eastern Strathairly), this burn was then known as the Drumeldrie Mill Burn (Drumeldrie milne burne) (Laing Chrs. no. 2544). It is probable that Drumeldrie Mill was the earlier name for Johnston’s Mill.
OS 6 inch 1st edn Johnstons Mill is now Carrick Villa (OS Pathf. and OS Explorer). OS Name Book states that Johnstons Mill was the name of a house near to which a corn-mill had once stood, ‘which belonged to a man called Johnston’ (97, 46), and it was reported that no trace of the former mill then (1850s) survived (97, 100).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2