The Maw

The Maw MAI S NT338987 1 50m

lie Maw 1421 Laing Chrs. no. 99 [charter by Murdoch duke of Albany to Henry Gall; 33 acres of land commonly called The Maw in the territory of Cameron (Cambron) MAI]
(lands of) Maw 1489 RMS ii no. 1841 [to Alexander Hume the lands of Maw vic. Fife, forfeited by John Ramsay one time Lord Bothwell (Boithville)]
(lands of) Maw 1497 RMS ii no. 2346 [to Alexander Bruce of Birgeame and Janet Stewart the lands of Earlshall and Pusk in barony of Leuchars (Luchris) + the lands of Maw]
Maw 1505 RMS ii no. 2822 [John Wemyss (Wemys) of that ilk sells to Robert White of Maw (Quhite de Maw) the lands of Little Lun (Litil-Lun) MAI]
(half the lands of) Maw 1510 RMS ii no. 3406 [Alexander lord Hume]
(lands of) Maw 1529 RMS iii no. 796 [to William Lindsay and Isabel Logan the lands of Pyeston (Piotstoun) MAI, KFX ... and the lands of Maw]
(half of) Maw 1540 RMS iii no. 2141 [James Colville sells to Andrew Gaw of Maw his half of Maw]
(Ale ander Gaw of) Maw 1552 Midl. Chrs. no. 52 [charter anent the teinds of East Wemyss (Eister Wemis) to Alexander Gaw of Maw]
the Maw c.1560 s Purves 155 [?3]
(half of) lie Mawe 1564 RMS iv no. 1569 [Alexander Lord Hume (Home) sells to John Wemyss (Wemys) of that ilk his half of The Maw vic. Fife, dated at Thornton (apud Thornetoun)][241]
(Ale ander Gaw of) Maw 1565 Retours (Fife) no. 58
Maw 1587 Assumption 15 [‘Maw and Littleron (Little Lun) MAI)’]
(half the lands of) Maw 1616 Retours (Fife) no. 210 [John of Wemyss (Weymis)]
Maw 1630 Retours (Fife) no. 430 [Janet (Joneta) Gaw, both halves of the lands of Maw]
Maw 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Maw 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Maw 1828 SGF
The Maw 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [‘the Maw or Woodbank’]
Little Maw 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [= OS Pathf. Woodbank Cottages]

G magh

‘Plain, level arable land’, it appears as Woodbank on OS Pathf., while OS 6 inch (1856) Little Maw is shown on OS Pathf. as Woodbank Cottages (NT341990). For a possible (and tentative) relationship with the name Little Lunn MAI, the lands immediately to the north-east, see s.n. above.


This place-name appeared in printed volume 2