Inchinnie # MAI S NO293019 2
Inchawne 1491 NAS GD26/3/796 [17th c. copy (1649); ‘of the lands of Inchinnie and Pitenchagal MAI’ (de terris de Inchawne et Pertynhaglis), associated with lands of Easter Markinch (Eister Markinch), belonging to John Multrar (Mowtray)]
Inchawn 1491 NAS GD26/3/796 [17th c. copy (1649); ‘with the lands of Inchinnie and Pitenchagal’ (cum terris de Inchawn et Pittinhaglis)]
Inchehony 1512 RMS ii no. 3738 [Henry Wardlaw feus to John Multrar (Multrare) of Markinch (Merkinch) the lands of Easter Markinch (Est-Markinch), Nethir-Markinch, with their mills, Bighty (Bichty) MAI, Pitenchagal (Pettinhaglis) MAI, Inchehony, with 6 acres of the meadow (prati) of Dalginch (Dalginch) KWY, MAI, in the lordship of Dalginch (Dalginche). See KWY Introduction for more details]
Inshehome 1609 Retours (Fife) no. 205 [probably for MS Inshehonie, misreading three minims of ni as m; ‘... Nether Markinche, Pittinhagillis, Insheho<nie>, Bichtie ...’ in parish of Markinch]
Inchechony 1627 RMS viii no. 1162 [confirms charter of James Law, feuar of Dalginch, granting to Mariota Boyle (Boill) the life-rent of the lands of Eister Merkinsche alias Kirktoun de Merkinsche, Nather Merkinsche, with wards, mills and coal-mines, Pitenchagal (Pittinhagilis) MAI, Inchechony ...]
Inchinnie 1685 NAS GD26/3/950 [Bighty (Biyhtie), Pitenchagal (Pittinhagils) and Inchinnie]
Inchunie Acres 1780 NAS GD26/5/709 [shows also Inchunie Pond; see discussion]
Inchunie 1797 Sasines no. 4950 [‘1 acre of land in Inchunie, a piece of ground in Limepotts, a Gushet or Rigg of land in the Byreflat, and 2 Gushets or Riggs of land in the Lawfauld MAI’]
Inchinnie 1799 Sasines no. 5328 [part of lordship of Balgonie MAI, associated with Pitenchagal (Pittenchagill) MAI]
Inchunie 1801 Sasines no. 6035 [Alexander Greig, weaver in Markinch, ‘part of the lands of Easter Markinch called Kirk Markinch, Nether Markinch, Pittenhagles & Inchunie’]
Inchany 1807 Sasines no. 7812 [Mary Landale, ‘eighth part of the town and lands of Easter Markinch called Kirk Markinch, Pittenhaigle, and Inchany ...’]
Inchinnie 1814 Sasines no. 10284 [Robert Balfour of Balbirnie (Balbirny), ‘acres of the lands of Markinch or Inchinnie; the coals situated in these lands of Markinch’]
G innis + ?
‘Inch or haugh of ?’. For the specific element G aonach (OIr óenach) ‘popular assembly or gathering’ may be very tentatively suggested, in the light both of the early forms (unfortunately not early enough) and of the importance of Markinch and Dalginch as the place of legal assembly for the men of Fife (for which see MAI Introduction, Early Importance: Secular). This contrasts, however, with the pattern of the early forms of Dunino DNO, which more certainly contains this specific element, and whose early forms show a different pattern in both the medial and final syllable (-enoch, -ennio, -ynno, -inow, -ynnow, -ino, -inno).
Also, if Inchinnie contained the ‘assembly’ word, it might be expected to be situated much nearer Dalginch. However, this is not the case. A ‘sketch of Inchunie Acres’ from 1780 (NAS GD26/5/709, Plan of Balbirnie) shows much pre-enclosure detail of a swathe of land to the west and south of Markinch, and locates Inchinnie on the site of the present-day caravan park in the south-east corner of Balbirnie Estate, south of Bessie’s Bogs. The eponymous inch or ‘island’ (innis) is therefore likely to be the piece of raised ground above the 75 m contour at NO293019, which supplies the above NGR.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2