Gallowbank Plantation MAI V NO280023 1 373 115m
Gallowbank Plantation 1888 x 1914 OS 6 inch County Series, 1st revision
en Gallowbank + SSE plantation
The existing name specific is made up of Sc gallow and Sc bank ‘bank or slope on which gallows stand’. On a conspicuous position beside the main road from Kirkcaldy to Cupar and Dundee, it is a typical gallows site. However, this is deceptive, since the route of the main road here along the western edge of the lands of Balbirnie is relatively recent: it is clear from Ainslie/Fife (1775) that it formerly ran further to the east, through the middle of Balbirnie.
The plantation runs along the MAI/LSL boundary, on the MAI side.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2