Drumcaldie MAI S NO338005 1 373 35m SOF
Drumcaldy 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Drumcadie 1775 Ainslie/Fife [in MAI]
Drumeadie 1827 Ainslie/East Fife [in KWY]
Drumcaldie 1828 SGF
Drumcaldie 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G druim + ?
The eponymous ridge (druim) is most likely to the north, on which Balcurvie MAI lies. Despite a superficial similarity, there is no direct phonological relationship between Drumcaldie and the lost Drumkat(h)in KWY (q.v.), which, had it survived beyond its last recorded instance of 1228 (Drumkathin St A. Lib. 235), should have developed into a name like *Drumcattie. However, in the more than 550 years between the last record of Drumkathin # and the first of Drumcaldie (1753), it is possible that the second element became subject to re-interpretation or re-formation under the influence of the second element of the nearby town-name Kirkcaldy. A bigger obstacle to the identification of these two places is the geographical position of Drumcaldie. We have no clue as to where the quarter (davoch?) of Drumkathin # lay, but we do know that it was one of the lands held by the priest of Kennoway in the late twelfth century, and therefore that it lay within that parish (see KWY Introduction, The Medieval Church and its Lands, for full details). While Drumcaldie is only c.2 km distant from Kennoway kirk, it is on the lands of Balcurvie, which always seem to have been part of MAI. Thus, unless other evidence comes to light, it will be assumed that Drumcaldie and Drumkathin # are two separate places.
The OS Name Book describes Drumcaldie as follows: ‘Two houses on the S. side of the Kirkaldy [sic] Trust Road N. at the foot of the road leading to Bankhead. They are divided into several tenemen<ts> and let out to the farm servants’ (95, 13). It gives no variants.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2