Coaltown Of Balgonie
Coaltown Of Balgonie MAI S NT301997 1 385 70m
Coaltoun 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 398 [17th c. copy; see Balgonie MAI]
Cottoun de Balgony 1632 RMS viii no. 2065 [transcription error for *Coltoun? Part of lands and barony of Balgonie]
Coleton 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Coltoune 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Coletoun 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Colton mill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
the Coltoune of Balgonie 1654 Lamont’s Diary 74
Coaltoun of Balgonie 1665 RMS xi no. 820
Coaltoune de Balgonie 1675 Retours (Fife) no. 1142
Coltoun of Bigonie 1684 Adair/East Fife [sic]
Coltoun 1702 NSA ix, 684 [citing minutes of Markinch Kirk Session for 1702: ‘there is a dangerous water between this (Markinch) and Coltoun’, preventing the children of Coaltown getting a proper schooling]
Coaltown 1828 SGF
Coaltown 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
West Coaltown 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc coal + Sc toun + Sc of + en Balgonie
Coals and coal-heuchs are mentioned in the barony of Balgonie in 1665 (RMS xi no. 820). Also mention is made in 1451 of coal from the fermes of the Newton and Markinch (le Neutoune et Markinche) (ER v 469). The ‘Fans Road’ runs south from Coaltown of Balgonie towards Thornton MAI, and refers to the fans used to ventilate the coal mines.
In the village near the school was Pyetree Field, which has given its name to Pyetree Road. The derivation of this name is unclear.
/ˈkoltənəv balˈgoni/ or /ˈkoltənəv bəlˈgoni/, locally both /ˈkoltənə bəlˈgonɪ/ and /ˈkotənə bəˈgonɪ/ (and both with glottal stop /ʔ/ instead of /t/).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2