Balgonie MAI S NO313006 1 35m
(Thomas Sibbald of) Balgovyny 1396 Fraser, Wemyss ii no. 25
(John Sibbald of) Balgovny 1448 Fraser, Wemyss ii no. 53
(Robert Lundy of) Balgony 1488 NAS NRAS 0153/7 [see Balsillie LSL]
(free barony of) Balgony 1511 RMS ii no. 3567 [to Andrew Lundy of Balgonie (Balgony); see discussion]
(lands of) Nether-Balgony 1511 RMS ii no. 3567
(lands of) Over-Balgony 1511 RMS i no. 3567
Balgonie 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 398 [17th c. copy; with the Pertinents, viz. Milton (Miltoun), Coalton (Coaltoun), Spittal (Hospital) and Carnboyis]
Balgony 1531 RMS iii no. 980 [in the barony of East Wemyss (Est Wemys) and Lochoreshire (Lochorschire)]
the temple of Balgony 1540 Knights of St John 25 [4 s.; listed between Leslie and Inchgall BGY; assumed by Index to be Balgonie MAI]
Balgony c.1560 s Purves 155 [‘Balgony, Miltoun Hospitall with pertinents’; ?2]
Ballgony 1587 Assumption 15 [grouped with Spittal (Spitill) MAI, Milton (of Balgonie) (Myltoun) MAI, Sythrum (Schettoun) MAI with mill, and Cadham (Cauldhame) LSL]
(Robert Lundy of) Balgony 1603 Retours (Fife) no. 129
(George Boswell of) Balgonie 1608 RMS vi no. 2140
Litill Balgonie 1608 RMS vi no. 2140
(lands and barony of) Balgony 1632 RMS viii no. 2065 [see discussion, below]
terram templariam de Balgony 1645 Retours (Fife) no. 690 [temple land]
Balgowny 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Balgawny mill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [sic]
Balgonnie 1664 Lamont’s Diary 171 [earl of Leven dies there, ‘after a large carowse (carousing)’]
terris de Balgonie 1675 Retours (Fife) no. 1142 [for definition see discussion]
Balgonie 1684 Adair/East Fife
Coltoun of Bigonie 1684 Adair/East Fife
Balgowny 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1 [shown twice on the map, both south of the River Leven; one presumably refers to the castle (NO313006)]
Balgonie 1775 Ainslie/Fife [Earl of Leven]
Balgonie 1790s OSA, 623 [site of a Bridge over the River Leven]
G baile + gobha + ? – in
‘(Place of) smith-farm’ (gobha, gen. sing. gobha(i)nn) + locational ending, probably –in, reduced to –ie/y. It is exactly comparable with Balgonie ADN and Balgownie CUS (both PNF 1), also with Balgonie, Abernethy PER and Balgownie, Eassie and Nevay ANG; also with Balgove # BMO and Balgove SSL, except that these last two show no trace of a locational ending.
In 1511 the king confirmed and quitclaimed to Andrew Lundy of Balgonie (Balgony), knight and sheriff of Fife, and to his heirs the lands of the barony of Balgonie. These are given as lands of Over-Balgony and Nether-Balgony, the Milton (of Balgonie) (le Mylnetoun), the Byres (le Byris, for which see Byresloan MAI), ‘Inverlochty otherwise called Spittal MAI’ (Ennerlochty alias Spittale nuncupat.), along with the tower, fortalice and manor of Balgony, the lands of Devon (Dowene) KTT consisting of ‘Over Devon, Nether Devon, Milldeans and mill’ (Over Dowene, Nether Dowene, Myll-denys et molendinum) KTT, lands of Sythrum (Schethum) MAI viz the manor and mains of Sythrum, Blackfalds (Blakfawldis), Cadham (Cowdane), with waulk and corn mills and the presentation of chapelries, together with several lands in Strathearn, all united in the free barony of Balgonie (Balgony) (RMS ii no. 3567).
In 1632 the lands and barony of Balgonie are defined as consisting of the Mains of Balgonie (lie Maynes de Balgony), the lands called ‘The Glebe about the Place’ (terras nuncupat. the gleib about the place), the lands of Bankhead (Bankheid), Byreloan (Byrelone) MAI, Lochtyside (Lochtiesyde) MAI, *Muirton (Muretoun), the vill and lands of the Milton and Coalton (?) of Balgonie (lie Mylnetoun et Cottoun de Balgony), the grain and waulk mills of Balgonie, the vill and lands of Sythrum (Schethrum), with the mill, mill-lands etc., lands of Treaton Mire (Trettoun-myre) KWY, the vill and lands of Devon (Dovane) and Milldeans (Mylnedenes), with the mill and mill-lands of Devon (Dovane) KTT (RMS viii no. 2065).
The following somewhat larger definition of the lands of Balgonie in 1675 is given as follows: the lands of Balgonie including the lands and mains lands of Balgony; the lands of Bankhead (Bankheid), the lands called Glebe (Gleib); the lands of Lochtyside (Lochliesyde sic, for Lochtiesyde), Coalton of Balgonie (Coaltoune de Balgonie), Byreloan (Byretoune sic), Milton of Balgonie (Milntoun de Balgony) with its grain and fulling mills, the lands of Spittal (Spittill), Markinchlaw # (Markinschlaw), Sythrum (Shirthum) and the mill of Sythrum (Shirthum), in the barony of Balgonie; the lands of Treaton Mire (Trittonmyre) KWY, Craigencalt (Craigincat) KGH in the barony of Glassmount (Glasmonth) KGH; the lands of Easter Boglily (Eister Baglillie) KGH, with the mill called Datie Mill (Inshdatiemilne) KGH, all united in the lordship and barony of Balgonie (Balgonie) (Retours (Fife) no. 1142).
The name occurs on OS Pathf. in Balgonie Castle, Milton of Balgonie, Balgonie Mill, Coalton of Balgonie, Balgonie House, Balgonie Cottage and Balgonie Engines. The above NGR is of Balgonie Castle.
/bəlˈgonɪ/ or /bəˈgonɪ/.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 2